If this is your first retreat, read "How to retreat" first.
Step 1: Select a retreat
Note whether the retreat is in Noble Silence and/or an intensive meditation retreat.
Not all retreats are suitable for children (please check with the administrator).
Note the duration and surcharge (e.g. 2 days' accommodation plus R200)
Step 2: Choose your accommodation
|A: 2-bedded room in Lodge, shared ablutions||8||R700||R1200||-|
|B: Single room in Lodge, shared ablutions||9||R700||-||-|
|C: Single en-suite room in Quarters||4||R900||-||-|
|D: 3-bedded Cottage||1||R1350||R1900||R2200|
|E: 2-bedded en-suite mountain Kuti||1||R1175||R1700||-|
|F: 2-bedded en-suite hill-side thatched Chalet||3||R1450||R2050||-|
|G: 2 bedded Lodge suites||3||R1350||R1900||-|
|H: Ensuite House with valley-view||1||R1 500||R2100||-|
e.g. 2 persons, in 2-bedded lodge pay R1200 per day in total, R600 each.
Please view the accommodation page for more details and photos.
Step 3: Calculate your cost
The cost of your retreat will be the cost of your selected accommodation plus the surcharge*.
Daily rates include accommodation, lectures, all meals & teas, and VAT
- For stays 10 days or longer:10% - self - retreats
- For stays 20 days or longer: 20% - self - retreats
The surcharges cover teachers’ travel expenses and the cost of materials used in some retreats. In keeping with Buddhist tradition, teachers do not receive any fees. However, retreatants are invited to offer teachers traditional Buddhist “Dana” (see below).
In keeping with ancient Buddhist tradition, the teachings of the Buddha (Dharma) are made available at the BRC at no charge. Being a non-profit organization, the daily rates only cover running costs such as food, electricity and wages. Teachers do not receive any fees for their teachings. The surcharges quoted only cover their travel expenses, and the cost of retreat materials. Some teachers rely solely on Dana for their living expenses. We therefore encourage you to offer Teacher’s Dana at the end of your stay. BRC Dana enables the Centre to maintain itself and finance further projects.
Step 4: Contact the centre
Please contact the centre on email@example.com or call to establish if there are places on the retreat and what type of accommodation is available. We will then provide you with all details required to make the booking. The email will be used as your booking form.
If there is no space on the retreat you may be placed on a wait list. Wait-listed people often get a room at the last moment through cancellations.
Office Hours during the week are 08:00 to 12:00 and 14:00 to 16:00.
Step 5: Pay the deposit or full amount
No online booking system is available.
Please contact the centre via email to confirm your provisional booking before paying any deposit amount. Provisional bookings are held for 5 days and are only secured upon receipt of a 50% deposit.
Should you wish to attend a retreat that is fully booked at the time of your enquiry, you can request to be placed on a Waiting List. Wait-listed people can often get a room at the last moment as a result of cancellations.
Buddhist Institute of S.A
Branch No. 220223
Account No. 52555029829
For international payments:
Swift Code FIRNZAJJ
Please use your NAME and RETREAT DATE
as reference on your payments e.g. NAME3-5FEB
The BRC has credit card facilities and you can pay for retreats using any credit card or debit card.
Step 6: Prepare for the retreat
Deposits and cancellation policy
Please call or email to establish if your preferred type of accommodation is available.
- Provisional bookings are held for 5 days and are secured upon receipt of a 50% deposit.
- If a booking is cancelled within 2 weeks of the start of the retreat, a refund will be granted less R 100 administration charge, otherwise deposits will be forfeited.
- In the case of exceptional circumstances, such a deposit may be “rolled over” for future retreats, provided it is used within 6 months of the cancellation.
- Last minute cancellations will not be refunded.
- Deposits can be paid by credit card or deposited directly into our bank account.
- Please note that once a retreatant is on retreat and wishes to leave early, no refunds will be made.
- If retreats are fully booked at the time of your enquiry, you can be placed on a waiting list.
- Wait-listed people can often obtain a room at the last moment because of cancellations.